A tiny bit about Tomás Metcalfe
I'm a keen cyclist, familiar with the Algarve.
I was born in the Algarve and have been a professional cyclist for 6 years and counting -hopefully another six :-) I'm a domestique by trade, not a champion. This buys me my dream lifestyle riding a bike round the Algarve.
about Tomas Swift-Metcalfe
I started road cycling at Loughborough University through doing duathlon/triathlon. I won my first race, a circuit race at Mallory park in 2005 and went straight from that to racing at elite level and coming 2nd to Rui Costa in the season opening race for U-23's in 2006... I thought I'd be the next Eddy Merckx, the way things went that year. From then on I've had lots of ups and downs. But every year that passes I improve and seem to like cycling even more.
I've done many great events and won a few things despite not being a team leader since my first year U-23. Among my proudest moments was winning domestique of the year and helping Ricardo Mestre to his victory in the Volta a Portugal of 2011.
at the volta a portugal
Some people value experience as proof of knowledge, other require academics. I enjoy studying and do it all the time I'm not working on SMS or cycling. I have a coaches certificate from the national federation here, a Certificate of higher Eduction in Sports technology from Loughborough University and I am currently half just over half way through a degree in Sport Science.
I keep a blog on training, which is designed to be pertinent, useful and accessible. It discusses topics and hopefully gives you something to think about. It's not an academic resource, nor does it pretend to be! I encourage people to read through it and go of and explore other resources if they are so inclined. Rip it up too, if there are any mistakes hold it to me in the comments bellow :-) training blog.
I was born in the Algarve to English/Irish parents, hence the strange name with all it's variations. I believe strongly that the Algarve offers conditions second to none for cycling and running training. I love the place, it's a paradise. algarve blog.
Here are some of my posts:
- Optimisation of a variable pacing strategy in road cycling
- Surprised by Chris Froome’s downhill victory? There may be thought (science) behind it!
- Cycling vs. Running ‘which burns more fat?’ and ‘which is harder?’
- Pre-season training for cycling and triathlon -2015 starts now!
- open water swimming sighting techniques
- Introduction to our swim coach!
- Barefoot running?
- Depression -can sport help?
- Praia da Luz Sprint Triathlon
- Some think you can’t coach via distance, I believe you can
- Interval training for cycling
- cycling in the wet
- your christmas cycling training or damage limitation!
- cycling training plans by Tomas Swift-Metcalfe
- 5 tips for designing your own cycling training plan
- 10 pre-season cycling tips
- transitioning between sports
- Pacing strategy in cycling – learn how to go faster
- The second half of the Volta a Portugal -cycling tips from the road
- road racing cycling tips right from the Volta a Portugal
- motivation for endurance sports: what motivates high achieving people?
- descending technique road cycling -how to improve
- Tour de France final week. ‘how do they do that?’
- Tour de France guide -week 2 “How do they do that?”
- Week one Tour de France – the SMS “How do they do that?” guide
- Tour de France 2013 -The SMS “how do they do that??” guide.
- the metabolic mix -the fuel for endurance sport
- getting back into training
- rest & recovery
- training specifically
- Train healthily
- Economy of effort
- Pre-race jitters
- It’s a lot about the bike-bike fit
- Training Metrics??
- Work and cycling -the best tactic
- effort laziness
- The turbo
- Training zones?
- Missed training
- Reverse periodisation